Santa Monica is at a crossroads.
Over-development and traffic congestion are out-of-control. And it's about to get much worse. Skyrocketing real estate values and the unbeatable climate have attracted those who want to milk the City for every ounce of profit they can.
We have to stop them. It’s up to us who love our City to call a halt to outside money dictating the shape of things to come. It’s up to residents to elect officials who put quality of life first. It’s up to you—the residents—to support candidates who share your same values and vision for Santa Monica’s future.
I am that candidate. I’m Richard McKinnon, and I’m running for Santa Monica City Council.
As a Planning Commissioner, I have stood up to hit-and-run developers and all those who are eroding our City’s livability and openness. I have worked to make Santa Monica a city where it's safe to walk our streets, a city that is financially secure, a diverse city that delivers an outstanding quality of life to everyone.
- Let’s safeguard our unique quality of life for residents, with a City Council that listens and responds to the concerns of those who live here.
- Let’s control development, so that towering concrete structures don’t block the sun and ocean breezes or turn us into another Miami Beach or "Manhattan-by-the-Sea."
- Let’s unlock congestion by deploying smart, tough, long-term solutions to traffic, rejecting today’s crippling gridlock, and demanding that developers fully incorporate traffic implications into their planning.
- Let's promote a city that protects renters, creates good workforce housing, and builds a strong economy based on new ideas.
- Let's create a deeply green city, with protected trees and beach, safe bicycling for those who want it, and carefully controlled, sustainable development with plenty of green space.
In my professional career, I deal with the issues and needs of cities and communities every day. As a Commissioner on Santa Monica's Planning Commission for the past four years, I have worked—and will continue to work—to uphold all of the goals outlined above.
Additionally, my experiences as a renter; former Recreation and Parks Commissioner chair; member of Roosevelt, Lincoln and Samohi School Councils, and PTA executive leader; Pico Youth Center board member; youth coach; and environmental and bike activist have given me an in-depth understanding of what makes Santa Monica great. I know our community, our values, and our vision.
Please support me this November and let's work together for an even better future.
To find your polling place, go to LAVote.net.